Occupational therapy is a field projected to grow by 24 percent over the next 10 years. With the median salary around $80,000 or higher, it’s an attractive and lucrative career that provides care and caring to patients who need help.
Occupational therapists receive extensive training and are required to pass state licensure. But to land a job in the occupational therapy profession, these professionals must undergo an interview process that includes questions from a hiring team. This article will help prepare occupational therapists for the typical questions they may encounter during the hiring process.
General Interview Questions
Q: Why should we hire you?
A: When answering this question, keep in mind the hiring team is really asking why you believe you are a fit for the organization. Make it a concise “sales pitch” to convince them you are the one to hire.
Q: What is your greatest strength?
A: This question is inevitable; prepare to give a confident response that isn’t too self-effacing. Try to discuss roughly three strengths within the context of the role you will be taking on.
Q: What skills do you bring to the table that other candidates may not?
A: This is a good question that will allow you to sell yourself. You could have a prior experience that sets you apart. Or, you could share a story about a personal connection you made with a patient and the positive comments they shared about your work. Or, if you have a few letters of reference, this would be a good time to play show and tell.
Interview Questions for Occupational Therapists
Some of the questions specific to the career you’re seeking could include:
- What work experience do you have that could apply to the occupational therapy field?
- What are the three most important skills necessary to succeed as an occupational therapist?
- What life skills have you learned that will help you in your occupational therapist role?
- What is your opinion on how occupational therapy teams should be run?
- What contributions could you bring to the team that no other applicants could share?
- What makes occupational therapy so effective?
- Describe a time you had a positive impact on a patient’s life?
- How do you handle risk management with patients?
- Have you ever had a patient be verbally abusive, and if so, how did you handle it?
- Discuss how you handle a frustrated patient or their family?
- What are your favorite therapeutic tools to use?
- How do you like to be managed?
- What did you learn from your last job?
- How do you stay up-to-date on the latest therapeutic techniques?
- Is there a particular app or technology you like to use to supplement your therapeutic approach?
- What kind of feedback do you prefer from a supervisor?
- Describe your most challenging patient?
- What was the most recent seminar you attended?
- What was your best patient success story?
- Describe a time you communicated realistic goals to a patient, but the patient had a different set of goals? How did you compromise?
Therapia Staffing is an agency devoted to working with therapists in important roles in our communities. We believe our work helps give back to patients and their families. Contact our talent team to speak with one of our staffing professionals.